It’s that time of year… everything is green, the sun is out a little longer, the evenings are warm enough to spend them outside, the smell of BBQ is in the air… It’s SUMMER TIME!! Having the kiddos home for extra family time is wonderful! But did you know that if children don’t keep reading and working on academics over summer break, they will lose a lot of what they learned during the previous school year? “All young people experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer. Research spanning 100 years shows that students typically score lower on standardized tests at the end of summer vacation than they do on the same tests at the beginning of the summer.”
Beat the summer slide! “Slide” is the academic loss children experience during the extended summer break from school. Children who don’t read during the summer can lose up to three months of reading progress and that loss has a cumulative, long-term effect. Keep your children having fun reading all summer!
Looking for ways to help beat the summer slide?? Here are a few suggestions to help:
What kind of books should your kiddos be reading?!
The best way to encourage your children to keep reading all summer long is to get them involved in a Summer Reading Challenge! With prizes and incentives along the way for reaching their goals, they’ll enjoy reading, and hey, they may even BEG to go to the library to get more books to reach their goal!
Ready to get started?
- Download the 2018 Summer Reading Challenge Packet
- Fill out the sign-up form
- Join the Summer Reading Challenge Group for Tips & Reminders
How does the Summer Reading Challenge work?
Your child will receive Usborne books for completing the challenge! Participation in the Summer Reading Challenge involves:
- Reading (or being read to) at least 400 minutes during the 4 weeks (from June 1st-30th). Prizes are awarded to children that go “above and beyond” and read even more!
- Collecting pledges from friends, neighbors, and relatives who will support your child’s summer reading. (It is not required to collect pledges-all children will be rewarded a certificate and a 4 pack of coloring bookmarks for participating.)
- Turning in 100% of pledges at the end of the challenge- no later than July 7th.
- Selecting reward books totaling 100% of collected pledges – no later than July 14th.
Who can participate?
Children of all ages can participate in the Summer Reading Challenge. Younger children can be read to by parents or older siblings. You can join from anywhere in the United States! If you’re participating in other Summer Reading Challenges through your local library or school, feel free to double up and join both challenges! Download your packet now!
Let’s get reading this summer!